Sunday, September 20, 2009

Where will we begin?

Our team will visit Mozambique during their election process in October of this year. Studying the evolution of democracy is the umbrella on which we will base the documentary. After getting additional perspective on the history and current state of democracy through a class presentation by Anne Pitcher (author of the book, Transforming Mozambique : The Business of Privatization, 1975-2000), I am finding myself wanting to know more of what is was like for individuals from their transition from colonization (by Portugal) to post independence.



This is where my dilemma begins. I want to see how people are affected by the governmental changes in their everyday life. I also want to focus on the current state of education is in their country. From this view, I want to know how children in Mozambique are introduced to its governmental structure. Our own country has national and state standards to ensure we teach our children how our government is structured . In this respect, we as a country try not to influence our students to any one political party. Just look at the recent brouhaha with President Obama's address to our nation's school (The theme was touted to be a typical "stay in school" message). Some people anticipated his to be an attempt at political persuasion, while others did not see what the big deal was, as other presidents have done the same! I wonder was Mozambique watching us as a "model of democracy" during that time?

As I read some of my team member's blogs, I am aware that we come from different disciplines (biology, business, etc). This diversity of perspective will be an interesting journey! By the way, I've added links to our team members blogs so you can follow them as well!

No comments:

Post a Comment